In tears I sat on my bed with doubts and frustrations. This "mission trip" was more than I expected. I was homesick for the hugs and kisses of my parents and was "overwhelmed" by the constant work and demand. I went through this rough patch in mid October.
I had been reading a book about how God desires for us to pray specific prayers. I was in the mood to test that idea. I had no doubt that God loved me and wanted to give me more of him. So, I sat there on that bed and said,"Ok God, I know you desire for us to pray prayers that are specific. Prayers that only you could answer and would not happen by chance. So, you know I have a very special desire. More than anything you know that I would love to have my parents come and visit me. Even if it is right before I leave, would you send them here to see my ministry. So, In faith I pray that you will send my parents here to visit me before I leave. I don't know how or when, but I will wait for them to come."
 |
| We Will Go 2012 Peru team in Jackson Airport |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Little did I know that that prayer would set in motion a change in my ministry. A week later I traveled with Kim Bridges to Arica, Chile for a day. On our way, Mrs. Kim told me that We Will Go ministries, in Jackson, MS was really trying to encourage my parents to come and visit with their team. She said that on the phone my mom began to cry and said," I want to come. Even if Tim doesn't go with me, I want to go." My mom began the passport process and with the encouragement of Amy Lancaster at We Will Go in Jackson, didn't give up when it seemed that the odds where against the entire thing. My dad struggled the most with stepping out on faith. He said,"I want to go, but I don't have my passport... We don't have the money... I have to find someone and pay them to fill in for me in the pulpit on that Sunday" But God had that all taken care of too. In less than two months God provided every penny for both of my parents to go, and the Sims Family, who had just returned from missions school(Iris Ministries) in Mozambique, volunteered to speak the Sunday my Dad would be away without pay.
 |
| Giving the best Hug to my Dad |
December fourteenth I stood at the Tacna Airport pointing out the figures of my parents inside the baggage claim twenty yards away. My excitement was so great. Two nights before I had a dream about them and how when they came they were sleeping, but awoke as I gave each of them a hug. Jesus was going to wake them up from something while they were here. when I saw momma I ran and gave her the longest hug ever. I knew I would cry. Both my parent wept when we hugged. I couldn't stay off of them because I missed their loving touch so much the past six months.
 |
| Blessing from The God who loves me |
That week was so full activities and my parents struggled with the constant movement. To say the least they both had different ideas and struggled with different things. Their week here was not just about coming to visit me, God was working in their hearts. I may be the first missionary in my family but I was not the first called to be a missionary. My mom was called to be a missionary at sixteen, but didn't ever get to it. That was her dream and God was bringing her back to that seemingly lost dream through me. I learned a lot about my parents and God worked in all of us.
That same week I was beginning to worry about the month ahead. Elizabeth Froeberg was leaving to spend a month with her family in the States. I was going to be the only intern and was struggling about how much harder I would have to work (My flesh was discouraging me). I tell you the truth, I prayed so much this month through just about everything that came. This was the best month of ministry I have had. I don't know how to explain it, but God has changed something inside of me. My Joy is greater and My Love is wider for these Kids. I can't explain it but that God was working in me. Before I was sort of waiting to go back, but now I can't imagine leaving these kids. I can truly say that when one of these seven little ones has to leave, my heart will break.
I would like to finish this post with the story of one of our boys. Piero is six years old (almost seven). When he arrived with his little sister, we had to be on guard every moment. Piero had witnessed his dad stabbing his mom with knife and had little help to cope with that. To say the least he was bothered by everyone and everything and we had to keep a close eye on him because of how violent he was. More than once he threatened to kill himself. At one point I was angry about what all he had been through that brought him to this point. I was angry that Satan thought that he could attack this boy so much that he would consider killing himself at six years old. We have been in constant prayer for the past three months and knew that Jesus was going to do something great in this little boy. With discipline, prayer, and love Jesus was going to change his heart. Today he is completely different. We don't have worry about him killing himself or hurting one of the other kids. And he simply loves the Kid's Bibles. One night as I was praying for he and his little sister before they went to sleep, he said quite randomly," Tia, I want to be a prophet." and I said," You know with Jesus all of us can prophecy, but Jesus said that if we don't have love it is nothing." A few minutes later as I was kissing them goodnight He said," Tia, I want to be a pastor of sheep." A few weeks later Sister Paula was talking with him and he said," Tia, I want to wear new cloths" Based on what they were talking about before, that stemmed from something spiritual. He is a little pastor and helper. I just pray that When he goes back to live with his mom, that God will continue the work in his heart. And that all of the progress that he has made will not be lost.
 |
| The Bridges Family, Sister Flora (one of our moms), Our precious seven little ones, and I |
"And to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and every. Amen" Ephesians 3:19-21
No comments:
Post a Comment