Jeremiah 29:11

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11

Monday, March 5, 2012

Cleaning Out the Closet

About two weeks ago, I began to go through my things to find items to throw away or donate. I will be leaving for Peru in three months; So, I knew I needed to get rid of a bunch of stuff. I began in the most daunting of places: my closet. My closet is huge, I had at least forty different outfits(at least half of which were to big for me or I didn't wear), a dozen shoes, and various items ranging from art-and-crafty type things to notebooks with some old school stuff. All this, I sifted through and ended up with two trash bags full of junk, and half a bag to donate. I don't doubt there will be more.

Some of the things, were perfectly good, but I had no need to keep them. And as I thought about whether donating them or trashing them, I asked myself,"Would anyone ever use or wear this?" Most of the time the answer was,"No." Most people here in the States have closets full of junk of their own. Why would I throw my junk in on them?

In these processes of preparation, I know God has lessons to teach in it all. What this particular process is teaching me, is that I must allow God to clean me out and make room in me for Him and His purpose. If I don't go through that, I will end up bringing all the junk in my closet with me to Peru and throwing it on people who don't need junk. I must allow God to make room in me for the things which are useful and holy; So, that is what I bring to the people of Peru.

 I believe when or if I return from this mission, I will find even more junk in my closet that I thought I needed before, but would become not as important.

"Sell your possessions and give to charity: make yourselves money belts which do not wear out, an unfailing treasure in heaven, where no thief comes near nor moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."                                                    Luke 12:33-34

No comments:

Post a Comment